I wasn't happy with how I originally modeled the Dalek after uploading it to Sketchfab for the 3D preview. I decided I should rework the entire mesh and redo the textures as well.
This time I wasn't going to be afraid of floating geometry since it added unnecessary polygons, the UV layout wasn't well optimized for modern texture workflows.
I decided to work on an update to the dalek because the design is simple enough, but it has many different interesting textures and substances that go into it. That is why I chose to update the materials on this older project, the result was quite nice.
This project made for a great crash course in Substance Designer, and Substance Painter. It also helped me see the importance of masking, and how it can greatly increase the speed of my workflow.
I'm a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh majoring in Game Art & Design with a Bachelor of Science Degree.I have a strong interest in games and the games industry.
I try to keep my skills fresh in my spare time by reviewing and researching new methods and tools released for game developers.
Check out my Steam Workshop files and contributions.